Gareth leads Shelston’s chemical and life sciences practice group. He is a highly experienced Principal working predominantly in the cleantech space and regarded by his clients as being commercial, personable, responsive and effective.
Gareth is a Principal and the leader of Shelston’s chemical and life sciences practice group. He has, more than 17 years’ experience as a Trans-Tasman patent attorney practising across Australia and New Zealand. An acknowledged leader at both firm and industry level, Gareth fronts a rapidly-growing practice group renowned for achieving results with a minimum of fuss.
Gareth specialises in chemical, life sciences and cleantech technologies by way of drafting and prosecuting patent applications, conducting opposition proceedings and providing validity and infringement advice. He also manages the Australasian patent portfolios of multinational clients and works closely with universities and their spin-out enterprises.
Gareth has a PhD and several peer-reviewed publications in the field of organic chemistry. He also has an undergraduate major in materials science. Gareth’s broad technical experience enables him to practise effectively across a range of inter-related technologies.
Prior to joining Shelston IP in 2003, Gareth became foundation-level qualified as a UK patent attorney. He has a thorough knowledge of the New Zealand patent system and serves on IPTA’s New Zealand practice committee. He is a regular speaker at events and conferences, and a prolific author of industry-relevant articles.
Gareth is passionate about client service. Feedback in this regard has regularly highlighted his responsiveness, objectivity and humility – but most importantly, his ability to get results on time and on budget.
“It was a difficult decision to switch patent attorneys during a critical period, however Shelston IP transitioned seamlessly and promptly organised our IP portfolio. They have diligently provided plain-English advice and efficient handling of our patents. Gareth and his team were a step change in service quality from what we had been experiencing, at a reduced cost. I have been grateful to Shelston for their great performance”.(COO, ASX-listed company)
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand), 2006
- Registered Trade Mark Attorney (Australia), 2006
- Masters of Industrial Property, University of Technology Sydney, Australia, 2006
- Postgraduate Certificate in IP Law, The University of Manchester, 2003
- Doctor of Philosophy (Chemistry), Te Herenga Waka Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, 2002
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) (Chemistry), Te Herenga Waka Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, 1997
- Fellow – Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys Australia (IPTA)
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute (Chartered Chemist)
- Australian Biotechnology Association (AusBiotech)
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- IPSANZ (John McLaren Emmerson QC) Literary Prize, 2010
- Lexology Awards – Legal Influencer (AU/NZ), 2019 and 2020