Gareth is a highly experienced chemistry, life sciences, and cleantech Principal, known by his clients as commercial, personable, responsive and effective.
Gareth is a Principal of the firm, with more than 17 years’ experience as a Trans-Tasman patent attorney practising across Australia and New Zealand. An acknowledged leader at both firm and industry level, Gareth fronts a rapidly-growing practice group renowned for achieving results – on time and on budget.
He specialises in chemical, life sciences and cleantech technologies by way of drafting and prosecuting patent applications, conducting opposition proceedings and providing validity and infringement advice. Gareth also manages the Australasian patent portfolios of multinational clients and works closely with universities and their spin-out enterprises.
Gareth has a PhD and several peer-reviewed publications in the field of organic chemistry. He also has an undergraduate major in materials science, with a cleantech focus. Gareth’s broad technical experience enables him to practise effectively across a range of inter-related technologies.
Prior to joining Shelston IP in 2003, Gareth became foundation-level qualified as a UK patent attorney. He has a thorough knowledge of the New Zealand patent system and serves on IPTA’s New Zealand practice committee. He is a regular speaker at events and conferences, and a prolific author of industry-relevant articles.
Gareth is passionate about client service. Feedback in this regard has regularly highlighted his responsiveness, objectivity and humility – but most importantly, his ability to get results on time and on budget.
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) (Chemistry), Te Herenga Waka Victoria University of Wellington, 1997
- Doctor of Philosophy (Chemistry), Te Herenga Waka Victoria University of Wellington, 2002
- Postgraduate Certificate in IP Law, The University of Manchester, 2003
- Masters of Industrial Property, University of Technology Sydney, 2006
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand), 2006
- Registered Trade Mark Attorney (Australia), 2006
- Fellow – Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys Australia (IPTA)
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute (Chartered Chemist)
- Australian Biotechnology Association (AusBiotech)
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- IPSANZ (John McLaren Emmerson QC) Literary Prize, 2010
- Lexology Awards – Legal Influencer (AU/NZ), 2019 and 2020