Greg is a Principal of Shelston IP and an experienced patent attorney with a proven track record in successfully drafting, prosecuting and defending commercially relevant patent and design rights for innovators in the field of mechanical engineering.
Greg’s work has led to significant commercial outcomes for his clients in terms of establishing and maintaining dominant market share and related competitive advantages.
Greg’s day-to-day practice encompasses a broad range of mechanical engineering technologies and is primarily focused on advanced product and process technology, including: automated manufacturing systems, robotic systems, vision systems, automotive products, processes for the mining industry, navigation systems and related manufacturing technology. Greg also acts for a number of multi-national corporations with commercial activities based on clean energy generation, medical devices, micro-optic based security systems, building systems, and related products and processes.
Prior to joining the patent profession, Greg worked as an industrial engineer gaining practical commercial experience in the design and implementation of special purpose automation equipment and robotic systems for a wide range of industries. Greg’s technical background includes research in the field of learning control systems for improving the accuracy of movement in robotic systems.
Greg enjoys providing valuable support to clients working in these technology groups from the initial concept phase through to commercialisation and enforcement. Greg has extensive experience in contentious matters, assisting clients achieve their commercial goals during complex patent opposition proceedings before IP Australia and during commercially significant litigation disputes before the Federal Court of Australia.
“Head of the mining team, Whitehead is not just technically excellent, he also has a great track record building up and consolidating the patent portfolios of start-ups for commercialisation.” – IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals (2020)
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- Registered Trade Mark Attorney (Australia)
- Master of Industrial Property, University of Technology Sydney
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechatronics) (Honours), University of Western Sydney
- Fellow – Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA)
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Recommended in the 2019 and 2020 Intellectual Asset Management (IAM Patent 1000)