Paul is a Principal and head of the chemical biotechnology team. He has over 35 years’ experience in the protection and enforcement of IP rights in Chemical Engineering and Chemistry technologies and is valued by his clients for his strategic and pragmatic approach to intellectual property.
Paul is committed to assisting his clients identify and protect their intellectual assets in Australia and overseas. He has extensive expertise in creation, exploitation, oppositions and enforcement, as well as portfolio management.
Paul’s career began in 1986 at IP Australia as a Patent Examiner where he soon developed a passion for intellectual property. Now with over 35 years in Intellectual Property Law, and extensive experience in Oppositions, Drafting and IP Portfolio Management, Paul is relied on by a variety of leading multinational and Australian companies to provide up to date, relevant and cost-effective IP solutions.
Paul’s technical expertise is in chemical engineering, physical and process chemistry. He has a diverse client base, drawing on his capability and experience in handling a wide range of technologies, including building and construction products and systems, material separation, treatment and handling, metallurgy, food processing, medical equipment and process technology.
Paul also has industrial experience in environmental engineering, including water and wastewater treatment, with further experience in agricultural equipment and agri-chemicals, powder metallurgy and casting, blast furnaces, air conditioning and filtration systems, and electrolytic chemistry.
Paul is particularly well versed in IP Law of the South East Asian region having served 9 years as Co-Chair on the Asian Patent Attorney Association Patent Law Group. He has been identified by his peers and clients through independent research by Managing Intellectual Property every year since 2014 as an IP Star.
IAM Patent 1000
“Paul Harrison is a fine example of the group’s first-rate advisers. With a chemical engineering background, Harrison aptly handles building and construction products and systems, material separation, treatment and handling, metallurgy, food processing, medical equipment and process technology briefs.”
- Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical Engineering), University of Queensland
- Registered Patent & Trade Marks Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- Fellow – Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA)
- International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property (AIPPI)
- Immediate Past President, Asian Patent Attorneys Association (Australia) (APAA)
- Past Co-Chair, International Patent Committee, Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) Magazine’s IP Star award in 2014-2020
- Intellectual Asset Magazine (IAM) Patent 1000 Leading Patent Professionals 2019, 2020