Sean heads Shelston IP’s Trade Marks team. He has extensive experience in assisting clients with trade mark protection and selection. He has been recognised by Managing Intellectual Property as an IP Star for the last 6 years and was a finalist in the 2020 Client Choice Awards for Best IP Specialist.
Sean has more than 30 years’ experience in trade marks practice. Working principally in Australia but with international experience, Sean assists numerous local and multinational businesses in relation to the selection and protection of their trade marks.
He is highly experienced in the handling of trade mark oppositions and brand disputes. He assists clients in policing infringements, including border protection and marketplace policing programs. He also conducts availability searching for a wide range of multi-national businesses, handles prosecution work, and provides strategic advice relating to use, protection and management of brand portfolios, including domain names. He has appeared in numerous opposition hearings before the Trade Marks Office and has been a principal of Shelston IP for more than 20 years.
Sean’s clients are the who’s who of global brands across numerous sectors including fashion, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, and financial institutions. His exceptional service delivery and expertise have led to Sean’s recognition by both his peers and clients who value his clear guidance and insightful strategic advice.
Over many years Sean has been recognised by leading industry analysts and has featured in Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars Handbook every year 2014-2020.
Managing IP research
“Sean McManis is a steady pair of hands and demonstrated his leadership in trade mark matters by persuading me, against my instincts, to apply for a defensive trade mark registration which was successfully secured.”
WTR 1000 resarch
Trademarks and brands group leader Sean McManis is “not only proactive, responsive, thorough and knowledgeable, he provides comprehensive, diverse trademark services”.
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney (Australia), 1995
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW, Australia, 1987
- Bachelor of Laws, Macquarie University, Australia, 1987
- Bachelor of Science (Chemistry), Macquarie University, Australia, 1987
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys (IPTA)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- Australian Domain Administration (auDA)
- Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) Magazine’s IP Star award in 2014-2021
- WTR 1000 Australia Ranked – Prosecution and Strategy/Enforcement and Litigation 2021
- Nominated in the IP Specialist Category for his client focus in The Client Choice Awards 2020.